Mission EDUS – EDUCATION FOR ALL is a non-profit organization that develops and promotes education and support to children with and without difficulty in developing partnerships with government, non -profit sector and , through education , information and public awareness raising
VISION: realization of the full potential of every child , with and without developmental difficulties
WHEN AND HOW WAS EDUS ESTABLISHED ? In November 2010, bringing together experts, parents and citizens , EDUS has emerged as an expression of the need to create a unique alliance of individuals and groups , who in front of them have a vision of realizing the full potential of every child , whether with disabilities or not .
As a result , this made an alliance involving all stakeholders , regardless of whether the government or not parents , experts , representatives of the authorities and other citizens that their natural , professional or official position, participating or with a wish to participate , in a joint effort to improve existing systems to support the development and education of children , regardless of their ability . EDUS officially registered on December 12th 2010. The main drivers of the Association are professionals and parents gathered around the ” Mjedenica 2010-2011 ” who wanted an excellent practic , manifested in a constant and measured the progress of children involved in the project , retained and incorporated into the system . In doing so, we seek to constructively use the human creative energy and technical coordinator of the project , a scholar in the field of pedagogy , psychology and special education Ph.D. Nirvana Pištoljević , who wants to use her knowledge and experience gained in the United States to help the children in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The main objectives and strategies to achieve these goals under the Statute
1. A quality improvement of the system of support for children with and without developmental difficulties. Assisting in the training of professionals , students and parents to use scientifically proven methods of working with children, initiation and development of early detection , diagnosis and intervention for children with disabilities and developmental disorders , as and advancement of science and higher education system ;
2. Structural improvement of the system of support for children with and without developmental difficultie, better linking of education , health and social care sector in order to get a better adjustment to the needs of children with and without developmental difficulties and their families and collaboration with government, non-governmental and for-profit sector in the areas of common interest ;
3. Raising awareness – Raising public awareness about the need for a comprehensive approach to support the education of children with the aim of satisfying their individual needs , as well as raising awareness of the general public about developmental disorders and existing support systems .
- Teaching programmes, teaching materials are determined by individual levels of functioning of each student .
- All behaviors ( adoption of new knowledge , inappropriate behavior , language development , socijaizacija , etc. ) are directly observed and continuously and precisely measured
- The collected data are always presented numerically ( eg, how many minutes the child plays the game alone , how many seconds it can pay attention to the lesson , how the word is used in a sentence , how many times the child has successfully used the toilet how many letters it knows , etc. )
- Constant data collection result in clear indicators such as the rate at which a child adopts new social and academic skills, quality of the instruction and of the individual work plan , etc. on the basis of which decisions are made about the future following sequence of work .
- Direct observation / monitoring take place in natural and simulated environments / circumstances . Material or skills that the child independently and spontaneously knows how to use all these new situations is considered to be overcome and that means it’s time for the next goal , ie to upgrade and expose the child to new skills .
- Graphic presentation of student’s daily work and progress are used for educational decision ( whether to continue with the work plan , the method of work , whether it is mastered by short-term or long-term goal , if there is a problem to master the programme , lecture , presentation material , whether it is necessary to make an scientific intervention , etc. )
- Educators ( teachers , special education teachers , speech therapists , teachers , psychologists) must use scientifically proven tactics , educational interventions , the principles and methods of work with children to effect the work of each student and provide advancement of each student according to his / her cognitive development opportunities . (For example, students who have not developed vocal communication in a natural way , by using scientifically proven methods need to learn alternative communication skills) .
- A parent education is a must and very neccesary through lectures , practical exercises and individual meetings, in which we inform in detail about the development of their child and indicate how to apply the method at home .
- Working in the classroom is based on a positive approach , avoiding any form of punishment and negativity .
• Difficulties with a higher incidence ( frequency ) :
- Learning difficulties (dyslexia , dyscalculia , dysgraphia , which can be manifested behind the development of the repertoire of reading , writing and mathematical operations and general adoption records and progress in school )
- Speech and language impairments ( delayed speech development , Asperger’s syndrome , apraxia , dysphasia , stammering )
- Intellectual disability / Reduced cognitive abilities ( mental retardation )
- Emotional difficulties / behavior problems
• Difficulties with lower incidence ( frequency ) :
- Physical problems ( Physical Damage ) / Health problems ( epilepsy , severe chronic diseases , metabolic disorders )
- Hearing impairment
- Visual impairment
- Severe / multiple defects / problems
- Autistic spectrum ( 1 % of the world population )
- The baby does not begin to „chat ” ( bababa , dadada , mamama )
- Doesn’t speak one word by 16 months
- Does not combine two words at 2 years of age
- Is not pointing with a finger when it wants something
- Does not respond and does not turn toward voices
- Is losing or not developing speech and socialization
- Shows no interest in the environment research
- Is not interested in other children
- It can not keep the attention on the given activity
- Poor or no eye contact
- Doesn’t know how to play with toys
- Doesn’t know the purpose of everyday objects ( eg : comb – combing , phone – yield ear cup – turns to drink , etc. )
- Obsessive –ordering toys or other objects from the environment
- Does not follow simple vocal commands ( eg . “Come ” , “give”, “bring ” , ” pull ” , “open ” )
- Sometimes it seems that the child ” can not hear “
- Does not respond to it’s name
- The strange repetition of certain behaviors , unusual use of the body ( flutter hands , walking on tiptoe , looking deep hand , fingers playing , covering its ears , putting fingers in ears , etc.)
- Obsession with certain actions or objects ( an obsession with water, lights , glittery objects, spinning lids , etc. )
- The insistence on routines and order of certain actions , events
- Obsessive spinning of wheel or objects , a great interest for the fans and all the ” spinning ” items
1. Autistic spectrum disorder ( Autism Spectrum Disorders – ASD ) encompasses a broad range of development disorders that range from mild to severe : – Autistic disorder / Classic autism – Pervasive developmental disorder – not otherwise specified ( PDD – NOS ) or atypical autism – Asperger’s disorder / syndrome
2. Child disintegrative disorder or Heller’s syndrome ( a very rare , mostly in boys ; < 2 children per 100,000 ; begins at 3-4 years of age . Is visible as a drastic regression and loss of all skills , after previously typical development )
3. Rett syndrome ( a rare genetic disorder , most common in girls , one of the 10,000 – 15,000 children , begins to be visible at the age of 6-18 months ; appreciable delay in general development , regression in developing motor skills , problems withwalking , and especially with the hands and the visual stereotype and the development of epilepsy
1. Disorder in the social development
2. Disturbance in verbal and nonverbal communication.
3. Stereotypical / automated ( recurring ) behavior , which are essentially autostimulative conduct which has the purpose of obtaining reinforcement ( pleasant stimulation ) through the five senses without the need for communication or contact with people , which in itself is atypical and inappropriate. These behaviors / actions, children are increasingly “close to their world ” and separated from the environment and society because it is through these kinds of incentives they do not stimulate language development , appropriate games , socializing , etc.
3.a) Compulsive behavior ( stacking and sorting of items, always in a specific order , and grouping , collecting and sorting items, observation / viewing / touching objects in a specific way )
3.b) Ritualized behavior (performing daily activities in the same row , insisting on predetermined routines at home and in the activities , the need for performing a ” ritual” / behaviors in a predetermined order)
3.c) Auto-aggression ( hitting his head with its hand , hitting its head on the wall and the floor, scratching its own body , hair-pulling , biting of fingers and hands , … )
3.d) Echolalia ( vocal repetition of words, phrases , sentences and whole paragraphs from commercials and movies , conversation , singing , humming , releasing one identical sound )
3.e) Dysfunctional repetitive behaviors ( spinning in circles , rocking , spinning an object before its eyes, spinning string or shoelaces, flapping / fluttering hands before its eyes ,spinning wheels , etc.)
- Learning disabilities – A child does not adopt the material at the same rate as peers , begins to close in itself , avoids working with other children , and communication as being ashamed or does not understand what it is and is asked of him / her , becoming aggressive or auto-aggressive .
- Hearing – A child is not developing speech or communication , then there is no socialization because it does not hear well , and he/she can not understand or pretend to speak of others. The child also can not respond to it’s name and understand the vocal demands around.
- Speech and language disorders – A child does not develop verbal communication or socialization , because it cannot follow it’s peers , and every aspect of learning is slowed .
- ADHD disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder – Children have very selective attention , so it seems that they do not understand what they are told , or do not respond to vocal commands , are very impulsive and unable to maintain attention long enough during instruction or an activity and often it seems have a delay in development .
- Reduced cognitive abilities ( mental retardation ) – A child develops a large delay in all developmental areas , a delayed development of speech , understanding of events and the environment , and is developing and autostimulative behavior stereotypes .
- Fragile X Syndrome – This is the most common inherited genetic disorder reduced cognitive (mental retardation ) and developmental disorders . Children have problems with learning and with appropriate behavior , with the development of speech and socialization .
- Rett ‘s syndrome – child develops stereotypical behavior , has undeveloped speech , lacking socialization , it is very visual and ongoing regression and loss of fine , then loss of big motorskills that does not exist in ASD disorders .
- Nursery disintegrative disorder or Heller’s syndrome – Children have the typical development to 3 years , and then coming to a drastic regression and loss of cognitive and communication skills , as well as appearing stereotypical behavior . Loss of every receptive , expressive and gesticulative communication .
- Landau – Kleffner syndrome – very similar to Heller’s syndrome , where the child starts with typical language development , followed by a loss of expressive and receptive communication functions ( understanding and use of speech ) and to the development of epileptic seizures . Occurs usually between 3 and 7 years of age , and 75 % of children develop irreversible receptive / expressive language disorder .
- Reactive Attachment Disorder – The result is severe psychosocial deprivation and has strong similarities with autism because children have appreciable delay speech development , atypical social communication and stereotypical behaviors . After adequate interventions and socio – speech stimulation , children can develop appropriate behavior .
EARLY INTERVENTION PROGRAM Tutoring
Omladinskih radnih brigada 3, 71000 Sarajevo, BiH
Tel: +387 33 451 152 Mob: +387 62 696 235
KINDERGARTEN “SUN” J.U. “MJEDENICA”
Mjedenica 34, 71000 Sarajevo, BiH
Tel: +387 60 313 0069 Mob: +387 62 696 235